Most people believe that the best time to visit the ancient ruins and museums in the summertime in Greece is early in the morning. Contrary to popular belief, however, no matter how early you go, the ancient ruins and museums are always crowded. So, go against the flow and head in while everyone else is heading out – because the best time to visit the ancient ruins and museums in the summertime in Greece is in the afternoon!
The Best Time to Visit the Acropolis & the Acropolis Museum
The Acropolis in Athens is one of the most recognizable sites in the world. The Parthenon is one of the world’s most iconic ancient monuments so you may be justifiably eager to finally get there. However, there is no reason to head for the hill so early in the day in summer. At that time, not only is it too crowded but also hot. From early afternoon until the site closes, there are far fewer people at the site. And depending on what time you visit, you could even enjoy a great view of the sunset over Athens.
The best time to visit the Acropolis Museum during the summer is in the early afternoon when the ‘unique Athenian light’ of the afternoon hours streams through and will enhance your experience. The museum’s large glass windows provide natural light for the sculptures and a direct view to the Sacred Rock and the distant port of Piraeus. Standing on the sun-drenched galleries of the museum will make you feel like you are standing at the top of the Acropolis. Then, as daylight fades, the lighting becomes more dramatic, transforming the ‘museum of light’ into a giant display case, forging a powerful link binding Classical Athens with that of the present-day capital of Greece.
The Best Time to Visit the Archaeological Site & Museum of Olympia
As at all major stops on Mediterranean cruise routes, tour buses from the cruise port of Katakolon to Ancient Olympia set off for the Archaeological Site and Museum of Olympia as soon as passengers disembark. For cruisers whose time is limited, and time flexibility is not much of an option, starting a Katakolon to Olympia tour early will only bring you to crowd-filled destinations and long queues. So, don't try to beat the crowds by starting earlier - consult your local tourist guide and follow a different program than all other cruisers and start later.
Save precious time, skip-the-lines at the ticket booth and enjoy the Archaeological Site and Museum of Olympia without delay. Enjoy the UNESCO listed archaeological site in the afternoon at your own pace and hassle-free. And since the afternoon Olympia tours end early enough, you can still enjoy some free time at the modern village of Olympia. Mingle with the locals over a Greek coffee at one of the local cafés or do some shopping for those memorable Greek souvenirs.
Choose one of The Travel Insiders’ tours - visit the ancient ruins and museums in the summertime in Greece and enjoy all the benefits of an afternoon tour!
Athens Afternoon Tours
- Athens at a Glimpse - Acropolis Site & Plaka (4-5h)
- Private Athens Tour - New Acropolis Museum, Acropolis Site & Plaka (6-7h)
- The Best of Athens Museums & Sights (Full day)
- Athens Sunset Tour – Acropolis site & Lycabettus Hill (4h)
- Premium Skip-The-Lines Athens - Piraeus Joined Tour (5h)
- Athens - Piraeus Joined Tour - The Highlights of Athens (4-5h)
- Athens - Piraeus Joined Tour - The Ultimate Athens Experience (7h)
- Athens-Piraeus Joined Tour with On-Board Guidance - Budget tour (4-5)
- Athens Joined Street Food & Sightseeing tour - Athens Sights and Bites (5h)
Olympia Afternoon Tours
- Premium Skip-the-Line Olympia - Katakolon Joined Tour (5h)
- Olympia - Katakolon Joined Tour & Free Olive Oil Tasting (5h)
- Olympia - Katakolon Joined Tour – Pure Olympia (4h)
- Olympia - Katakolon Joined Tour with On Board Guidance – Budget Tour (5h)
- Private Olympia Sightseeing #1 rated tour
- Olympia & Archimedes’ Ancient Technology Museum – Kid friendly tour (4H)